- Here's a fact about me : I read. A lot.
- I did my degree in English Literature and I'm a huge fan of the printed (or digital!) word.
- I'm not even particularly fussed on the subject of the book, I'll read anything from a cookery book to sci-fi. I actually really enjoy reading both!
True Whit: Designing a Life of Style, Beauty & Fun - Whitney Port
- Anyone remember Laguna Beach? I'm not ashamed to admit that yes, I used to watch this on a semi-regular basis! Once you'd got hooked on that, you couldn't not watch The Hills. Which is where I first (metaphorically) fell in love with Whitney Port. (Who we then followed to The City!!) Her character, how much of this is her real self I suppose I will never know, was so much more grounded than the rest of her co-stars. I liked her work ethic, I liked her style, I loved her hair and I coveted her job!
- It was for this reason alone that I decided on this book, that and I fancy light reading at the moment, leaning more to the non-fiction side of the scale. I wanted to see what she would say about herself, and with reviews like 'Need advice? Make Whitney your first Port of call' how could I not give it a go?
- Fair enough, she is talking about self help in your 20's, which may or may not be applicable to me anymore, I haven't decided yet! but I enjoyed listening to her (that's what it really felt like, like I was listening to her talking to me, over coffee and croissants).
- I was a little sceptical at the price, but I paid it, and truth be told, I'd pay it again. Possibly due to my infatuation with said woman!
- In a nutshell it is Whitney, talking to us about her life, and how she has managed to navigate certain problems, providing her advice on how we too, can overvcome those problems. With everything from decorating your first flat, to how not to look like you fell into a ribbish bag, she pretty much has it covered!
- Whitney is a glamorous girl, and I wish I had her life in the city. This book has (I wont say has inspired me) nudged me in the right direction to sorting my life out.
- Talking about Whitney's next chapter in her life, I feel as though it is a little relevant, I'm looking to start a new chapter in mine as well. I want to move cities, I feel as though I need a fresh start, I just need to sort everything out, but Whit's words of "just go for it" are resonating in my ears. I know that if I don't do it now, I probably never will, and then I'll regret it. Anyway, enough about me. This is about Whitney.
- She's probably not a born writer, but that's OK by me, because she never claims to be.
The Bottom Line : If you feel as though you are in need of a friend, give this a read.