Saturday 8 September 2012

Food on Friday #4 Vegan Coconut Ice Cream

Vegan Ice Cream title

Being Vegan doesn't mean you have to give up ice-cream! You just have to get a little inventive. . . . But Vegan ice-cream, doesn't mean you have to be Vegan!

I'm currently an accidental vegan, but I don't mind too much, I'm enjoying eating foods I probably would never have come accross otherwise. There really is a vast variety to choose from. I got home the other night and the boy had made me quasadillas with quorn mince, yum! anyway,

Here is my take on coconut vegan ice-cream. Enjoy. (and I know it's the end of summer, but in our household you eat ice-cream all year round, whether you like it or not!)
Vegan 1
Take one tin of Coconut Milk, and one tin of Coconut Cream ( you don't have to use coconut cream, it works with just the milk, but the texture is closer to 'real' ice-cream with the coconut cream) 

  Vegan 2 Measure out 600ml of soya milk (I know, some crazy substances are going into this, trust) 

 Vegan 3  
In a small dish, add 1tbsp of arrowroot powder to a splash of soya milk, stir well and set aside for later.

  Vegan 5 To the 600ml of soya milk, add 1/2 cup of brown sugar, stir until mostly dissolved and transfer entire mixture to a pan. Heat gently until sugar is entirely dissolved then stir in the arrowroot mixture, bring pan to the boil continuously stirring. When boiling point is reached the mixture will be thick like this (now turn off the heat!) 

 Vegan 6  
stir in the Coconut Cream and the Coconut Milk and leave to cool. Once significantly cool either transfer into containers to freeze stirring hourly until frozen, or (my favourite method!) bung it in your parents' ice-cream maker, wait an hour and then devour! 

 signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, heeyyyy!
go on . . leave a comment. . you know you want to! (and I want you to really!)